- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 5 eggs (large)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift dry ingredients three times.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg.
- Alternately add 1/4 of the dry ingredients and ¼ cup pf buttermilk to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Add the vanilla and food coloring and mix well.
- Fill lined cupcake pans up to 1/2 full.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes. To check is the cupcakes are done; insert a toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
- Keep cupcakes in pans for 5 to 10 minutes to cool, and then remove from pans.
- Be sure to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
NOTE: Sometimes, buttermilk is hard to find or may not be available. To make a buttermilk substitute, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in a measuring cup. Add milk to make the mixture exactly 1 cup. Let it stand for 5 minutes then its ready to use.