is a very popular dish in the Philippines and is usually served during family social gatherings such as birthdays, weddings, and mostly during Fiesta! A family social activity involving food will never be complete without Pork Humba.
Here’s a tried and tested recipe of Pork Humba!
- 1/2 kilo pork belly, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup rice water or plain tap water
- 1/4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salted black beans
- Ripe Saba Banana, cut into serving slices
How to Cook:
- Prepare the marinade by mixing soy sauce and pepper and then marinate the pork belly at least for an hour;
- In a saucepan, sauté the following: garlic, onion, the marinated pork, and bay leaves. Continue to stir fry for few minutes, maybe 3 to 5 minutes until the pork starts to render its fat;
- Next, add the rice water/plain water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until the liquid has reduced;
- Add the vinegar; be sure not to stir. Simmer for few minutes;
- Add the brown sugar and stir once in a while;
- Add the cut ripe Saba banana;
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as you deem necessary. Simmer until the liquid has reduced and the sauce is perfect;
- Serve hot on top of rice!