Excited to have a baby?
A healthy diet cannot be over emphasized, more so when you’re planning a pregnancy. It is to be expected that you want to be at your best health as you prepare to be a mother. Equally important to remember at this stage is the fact that the food that you eat will play a great part in helping you get pregnant. If you have been eating the wrong types of food, surely it will have an effect on your ability to conceive.
Make sure that you eat a well balanced diet. Eating good does not mean over eating. Gaining excessive weight is neither ideal nor desirable when you are trying to conceive. Hence, it is imperative that you make sure that the foods that you will be eating as you try to get pregnant are healthy food.
Here are top ten foods you should eat when you want to be prepared and get pregnant.
Some scientists recommend oysters because of its zinc content. Zinc deficiencies hinder both male and female fertility.
2. Green leafy vegetables such as Spinach, Asparagus, and Green Beans.
3. Grapefruit, Oranges and Lemons.
400 micrograms of Folic Acid each day helps in proper neural tube growth.
Citrus fruits in general are good. A diet with sufficient Folic acid will not only help you get pregnant, it will also help you deliver a healthy baby.
Normally, folic acid supplements are given to pregnant women to ensure that the babies are born without any birth defects.
4. Bread, Pasta, Rice and Potatoes.
These are good sources of starch. It would be much better if you try to choose wholegrain options.
Some of the best foods to eat when trying to get pregnant include meat and dairy products. Your body needs protein to conceive. So make sure that you consume food that has high protein and low fat content.
5. Lean Meat and Chicken, Fish, Eggs and Pulses like Beans and Lentils.
These are good sources of iron.
6. Fresh tuna (not canned tuna, which does not count as oily fish); Mackerel, Sardines and Trout Fish.
Eaten at least twice a week, these foods will also do you wonders.
Fish is known to enhance your general health and improve your fertility level. So never shy away from fish when you are trying to conceive.
Reminders though, don’t have more than two portions of oily fish a week.
7. Milk, cheese and yoghurt should be included in your diet since Calcium is very important when trying to get pregnant.
8. For your snacks, you might want to consider healthier options. Examples would be Sandwiches made of whole grain or wheat bread or Pita bread filled with chicken, cottage cheese or lean ham;
9. Low-fat yoghurts.
10. Raisins, Apricots, and other dried fruits can also be eaten as snack substitutes.
Lastly, always remember that balanced diet is always the best diet.